Professor Maximo Vento
University & Polytechnic Hospital La Fe, Valencia, Spain
• Professor of Pediatrics
• Chief of the Division of Neonatology
University & Polytechnic Hospital La Fe, Valencia, Spain.
• Scientific Director
Health Research Institute La Fe, Valencia, Spain.
• President of the Spanish Neonatal Society (SENeo) 2015-2019
• Chairman of the Platform for the Development of Clinical Trials
Health Research Institute La Fe (Valencia; Spain)
• Chairman of the European Board of Neonatology (EBN) (2018-2023)
• Member of the Executive Committee of the European Society for
Paediatric Research (ESPR) (2018-2023)
• Chairman of the Spanish Maternal, Neonatal and Developmental
Network Red SAMID (2015-2022)
Health Research Institute Carlos IIII (Spanish Ministry of Science and Innovation, Kingdom of Spain)
• Emeritus Researcher and Director of the Neonatal Research Group
Health Research Institute La Fe (Valencia, Spain)
• Honorary member of the American Pediatric Society
• Honorary member of the Deutsche Gesselschaft für Kinderheilkunde
• WB Kitchen Scholar of the University of Melbourne
• Lung Club Lecturer 2010 Pediatric Academic Societies USA
• Bengt Robertson Lecturer 2021 European Society for Paediatric Research
Lines of research and interest
Physiology of the Fetal to Neonatal transition; Perinatal Asphyxia; Resuscitation in the Delivery Room; Oxygen: physiology, hypoxia/hyperoxia derived toxicity, oxidative and nitrosative stress and biomarkers; microRNA & epigenetics and oxygen; Redox Regulation.
Microbiome in extremely preterm infants. Influence of own mother’s milk/pasteurized human milk. Studies on inflammation and oxidative stress in exfoliated intestinal cells.
Perinatal infectious diseases. GWAS and microRNA.
Perinatal psychological stress and consequences.
Methodology: Targeted and untargeted metabolomics; HPLC or GC coupled to Mass Spectrometry; LC-QTOF approach. Capillary electrophoresis. Vesicles.
Scientific contributions in national and international journals
- 414 papers published in international peer reviewed journals and national journals available at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=Vento+M+or+Vento+Torres+M
- 42 book chapters in international handbooks of Pediatrics and Neonatology.
- >200 conferences at International Scientific Meetings and Congresses.
- Direction of 25 PhD thesis in the field of experimental and clinical perinatology
- Hirsch Index = 62
- Citations > 15836